Monday, November 22, 2010

No-Shave November

I feel like I've never had so many questions. China is a land of questions for me..

What's the Chinese word for....?
Will the glass I run over everyday pop my bike tires?
Where are my ear muffs?
Should we stay in China another year?
Why is that truck honking at me?
What is that smell?!
How do I get a VPN so I can update my blog that's blocked in China?

Well, we got the last question answered and so far our bike tires are fine. A lot has happened of course since our last update. We moved from fall into winter...our students had their midterms...The school had a Halloween costume party and talent show. We made a video for the youth group at Cornerstone (Thanks Nathan and Grace Marie for helping us to send it!) Daniel and I have been discussion the "What next" question since our boss will soon be asking for commitments for next year.

China has many challenging and uncomfortable moments and I am finding that it can bring out the best or the worst in me. Today on my bike ride to school I had a dialogue with God. He is so gentle in the way he teaches and chides me. A couple of years ago, I memorized Psalm 46 with my dear friend, Dorothy. God brought to mind the verse: "There is a river whose streams make glad the city of God, the holy habitation of the Most High. God is in the midst of her; she shall not be moved; God will help her when morning dawns."

The bike rides have caused me to dread each morning because of the cold and coughing fits I usually have. In my head, I complain, and if left to myself and my own thoughts, the mornings can set a horrible tone for the rest of my day. Today was different though, because I invited Him into my struggle with the pollution, sickness and the cold and he helped me to choose joy today. He flowed into my day and made me glad. I want every morning bike ride to be filled with him because without him in it, I'm a mess.

One beautiful color we appreciated this fall was yellow
another color is red :) Happy No-Shave November!

2 comments:

  1. As our Thanksgiving Day 2010 comes to a close we are VERY THANKFUL to have seen you both today on isight. You look wonderful!! So glad you can celebrate Thanksgiving in China tomorrow. We will look forward to hearing all about it.The Moody's just arrived from Dillon after a happy time there. Little Wyatt is down for the night. Emerson, her dad and Gdaddy went fishing off the dock and caught some fish= some keepers some not. Our meal you can probably guess. We had some new additions this year dessert wise - Oreo Balls, homemade pound cake, 2 fresh baked apple pies ( made by Addie Jo). Little Colt is so glad to see his Aunt Addie and. Emerson sure loved playing UNO with you today. We have taken some pictures and will send them to the family ASAP. WE LOVE YOU BOTH SO MUCH and are praying for leadership from The Lord for the future. The Moody's look forward to seeing you on isight in the AM for us PM for you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. thank you for the candid, piercing thoughts. miss you more than i wanta think about!

    ReplyDelete